Thursday, April 12, 2007

Thought Provoking...


HELLO you son-of-a-bitches (again, term of endearment)!

"Kev" is still sick today (sneezing, wheezing, coughing, head-pounding, etc...)

Today's post comes to us from an anonymous source.

To anonymous, we say "THANKS" for your thought provoking contribution. To the rest of you, we say, "What do you think?"

I am not a fan of Don Imus. In fact I've never listened to his show at all, except sometimes stopping while changing the channels to gawk at his gnarly face and silly outfits.

That said, I am going to go out on a dangerous limb and say something that could be interpreted as defending the guy.

What he said was racist (nappy-headed) and sexist (ho). I don't know how that differs from most of the popular music these days. Music that is on the same radio airwaves as Don Imus' show. Fergie's song "London Bridge" has lines in it like "I'm Fergie Ferg and me love you long time". That's not racist and sexist? I explained to my t'ween daughter the origins of that phrase and that it is horribly offensive. Another line in it is "Back to back, drop it down real low, I'm such a lady but I'm dancing like a ho". Um....sexist! And I don't give a rat's ass that she is saying it about herself. She's saying it. Girls are singing it. Boys are believing it. And Fergie's getting rich doing it.

I say that if people find Don Imus' language to be offensive and intolerable, we should demand that everyone on the public airways be held to the same standards. It would be great to hear a song that had some actual artistic value to it. Isn't it time to put an end the musical misogyny and at least keep our nasty thoughts to ourselves?


3 Comments:

Blogger Kev said...

I liked today's post because it made us think, right? I think the issue of Imus's termination will spark debate for time to come. I wanted to share my "view," (although I don't watch "The View"). Like "anonymous," I was aware of but never cared for Don Imus... For years, throughout his career, he has made derogatory statements about blacks, women and gays. (Plus he is super ugly - I can't look at him for too long.) This latest remark was nothing new. While I also agree that Imus's latest remark was inappropriate and hurtful to the Rutger's Women's Basketball Team, I wonder what this does for "Freedom of Speech" in our country? How is he different from Rosie O'Donnell who "mimicked" Asians? Should she too be fired? Should "artists" be censored? What are your thoughts? Let us know!

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just need to know -- is princess our anonymous poster? ;-)
It did get me thinking! But I have no opinion on the matter, well, ok yes I do. "I can't define offensive but I know it when I hear it". If he gets fired it's a business decision because he crossed the line just far enough to generate a critical mass of negative publicity.
It's not about what's offensive, it's about the almighty dollar. Apparently Rosie O'Donnell didn't offend a large enough critical mass but Don Imus did.
The book "The Tipping Point" presents an interesting way to think about this....
That's all I got. thanks, Anonymous, for making me think a little bit today.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Kev said...

Hi Sar!
"Thanks" for stopping in!
You know, I would NEVER divulge a source when asked for anonymity, (rather go to jail) so I can't tell you WHO sent me that to post, BUT since you "accepted" the party invite, perhaps we can have a lively debate this summer and perhaps the poster will be present? Thanks for the book recommendation too... Have a GREAT week!!
xoxo -

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Site Meter