Thursday, April 05, 2007

A Tribute...


Welcome to a "very special" "Kev's Corner" (bitches).

Today's topic is "teachers." Or, precisely, my teacher.

Teachers leave a lasting "footprint" on a kid's life, wouldn't you agree? Even if that "footprint" is the after effect of a swift kick in the ass (most likely well deserved for not completing your homework, for talking in class, or in keeping with the times, for having sex in the classroom while the teacher is out of the room or for being a card-carrying member of the Trench Coat Mafia).

Back when "Kev" was in school, he was fortunate enough to have a very "special" lady as his 7th & 8th grade "Language Arts" and homeroom teacher, a lady, after all these years, "Kev" has not forgotten. This lady left a "footprint" on my life (and not the kind described above). Her name is Mrs. S. (abbreviated to protect her identity since we can only imagine the weirdos that read this. Except YOU, of course. You're not a weirdo...).

Let me tell you a little bit about Mrs. S.... In a word, "GROOVY!" "GROOVY" AND "CUTE!" (I can say that now, right?) "GROOVY," "CUTE" and "COMPASSIONATE." Let's not forget "FUN!" Okay, one word isn't enough.

Mrs. S. was (and still is) COOL without even trying - it just comes naturally for her. You know those classes you dreaded going to? Hers was never one of them. She had a way of making everyone feel smart, even if they weren't. She made reading and writing FUN. The first speech I ever gave (and still remember) was in Mrs. S.'s class. (I remember the "phobia" speech I did with a bag on my head, because my fear at the time was... acne. All young gays should have a healthy fear of acne.) In my career today, I give many presentations and I can only thank Mrs. S. for laying the ground work for my success, both as a presenter and writer (of business letters, fancy Corporate emails, and of course, this blog). I liked her classes so much, I even wrote stories for extra credit. My attendance in the 7th and 8th grade was PERFECT and I believe I can also attribute this, in part, to Mrs. S.. Mrs. S. had the ability to put her students at ease (which I also appreciated since the pressure of Algebra, Social Studies and P.E. simply broke me, drove me to drink at an early age. Again, KIDDING...).

Mrs. S. also LOVED monkeys and her classroom was filled with all sorts of "monkey" paraphernalia (posters, etc...). She was kind enough to give her students homemade chocolate chip cookies too (which is STILL the way to "Kev's" heart - he'll do anything for a cookie). I also wasn't the only student who "adored" Mrs. S... She was quite popular among the students. If you were lucky enough to have her as a teacher, you knew it.

Today, Mrs. S. still values the importance of education (and is still teaching). Through her career, she continues to "give back." (Which I think is admirable. I wouldn't last a week in a classroom.) She is also a concerned citizen of our country and planet. She is someone, without sounding too "gay," that makes our world a better place. She's "FABULOUS."

Mrs. S. remains happily married and has two grown sons (and two super cute dogs).

And, oh yeah, today is her 29th BIRTHDAY!

From all of us, to you, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MRS. S.! We hope you had a GREAT day.

The "tribute" posts NEVER do the justice of the person they are written for but I hope you get the sense of what a WONDERFUL human being Mrs. S. is and what a positive impact she had on my life. I will never forget her.

If that darn book I am working on ever gets finished/published, Mrs. S. is one of the people it will be "dedicated" to. She is JUST that special.

We hope everyone has a very GOOD FRIDAY!

Much love,

"Kev"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Site Meter