Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Farewell


Guess who bitches? It's ME, "Kev!"

I hope you are having a GR-EAT week.

While I am taking some time away (and "Kitten" has been kind enough to fill in), I felt the need to stop back in...

First, as I have mentioned, Stevie Nicks is touring and "Kev" is taking time away from the "Corner" to, well, follow her. On Monday, "Kev" (and friend Melinda) were in the really, really low-rent district of the venue. It was humbling, however, to see how the other half live. Last night was a different story. "Kev" had a front row, center seat next to "Cowgirl" (I will write about that whack job later) as well as friends Randy and Barry (two gays that are super cute). Anyhoo, the show was simply wonderful. "Kev" got to shake Stevie's hand at the end of the show and I told her, "I love you." Gay? Undoubtedly.

I was not planning to return to the "Corner" until next week (when I am done touring) but I wanted to (selfishly) share some news I received yesterday that is weighing on my mind.

As some of you know, "Kev" first moved to Phoenix in 1996. It was an EXCITING time for me. I quickly found the "gayborhood" (you know, every city has one) and moved in. I was fortunate enough to become friends with a handful of gays who lived in the same complex. I became particularly good friends with a really nice (and, of course, CUTE) guy named Steven. While we were never "romantic," we became fast friends. I referred to him as "Mary" and he referred to me as "Rhoda." (You all saw "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion," right?) Basically, he was the cute, fun guy that all the guys wanted. Me, not so much. He absolutely, now brace yourself, hated Stevie Nicks, did not like the song "Landslide" (can you believe that) and enjoyed teasing me about my fascination with her. Back then I was a poor "gay" (lived at the El Lorenzo apartments, which in Spanish means, "the dump behind the Safeway") and instead of seeing Stevie Nicks perform, would see Stevie Nicks TRIBUTE BANDS! (I even laugh thinking about that.) It was Steven who would endure these "concerts" with me. Steven also threw my 30th birthday party. He hired a male stripper who came to "arrest" me... Steven used a LOT of carmex and would often wipe the excess from his finger to my carpet - a weird ritual I never quite understood. We would also walk after work or go in the pool for a swim. Steven later moved to San Francisco. "Kev" later moved to San Francisco. Steven moved back to Phoenix and then "Kev" moved back to Phoenix (and then to Atlanta, as you know). Steven was my best friend at the time. It is really hard to put into words what he meant to me.

You are probably wondering where I am going with all of this... While "we" (yes, of course, it's just me, well, and "Kitten" now) like to celebrate the good and honor each of you on your "special" day, I learned shortly before last night's show that Steven passed away. I felt the need to write about it. I am not sharing this personal news to garner sympathy - I knew this day was coming. Steven was HIV-positive, and had been for years. I could not, however, ignore it here when one of "our" goals of the "Corner" is, as I have said, to CELEBRATE. So, instead of mourning, I say let's CELEBRATE someone who was "special" to me. I thought about Steven during the show last night and especially during "Landslide" (which I love by the way).

While I am fortunate enough to be HEALTHY and HIV-negative (which, for those not familiar with the lingo, means I do not have HIV), "losing" a friend your own age makes you think about your own mortality. For the record, Princess has strict instructions in fact, to play "Landslide" at my memorial service and then place my ashes in a cookie jar to be placed in her kitchen. (I couldn't think of a better eternal resting place - especially when she bakes her super awesome chocolate chip cookies.)

Steven is the third friend I have lost to AIDS. (I wish I had a picture of Steven to share with you.) AIDS is STILL, as you know, a life-threatening illness even though newer/better medications are available. If you are single/not monogamous, etc., it is still as important as ever to practice safe sex and get tested regularly. I have seen this disease first hand, as I know some others of you have. A couple of you are even HIV experts in that you (um, "Kitten" and David) volunteered MANY MANY hours educating others on this disease.

To Steven, I say goodbye...

To the rest of you, I am playing the "gay" card and am sharing my "true" emotions today. (I am sad.)

"Kitten" will be BACK tomorrow so please stop in and say "HEY!" to her. "Kev" (that's ME) will be back next week!

Much love,

"Kev"

Finally...

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sincere condolences, Kev. He must have meant a lot to you if you put up with him wiping carmex on your carpet.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Kev said...

Thanks. As you can imagine, the carmex thing stuck with me because, well, I didn't like it. After doing it twice, I made him check his carmex at the door before entering. Thinking back on it though, it is sort of funny. (How many people come to your house and do that?) See YOU soon!
xoxo

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, cutie...
i'm so sorry about your friend. it never gets easier. Bless you for sharing the safer sex message. steven was so fortunate to have you as a friend. enjoy your trip..

oh, and...princess won't be putting cookies in the same jar as you're in, will she? if so, thanks for the heads up (in case i ever make it to princess's house to have a cookie). xo

3:16 PM  
Blogger Kev said...

Hey Kitty! (I am tired and loopy, so I am abbreviating). You know, I think you may have known Steven... He knew David from the agency, so if I showed you a pic, I would bet dollars to donuts (I love that expression but don't quite get it) that you would know him. And I can only hope Princess will put cookies in my (eternal) cookie jar, so be careful/check for ashes/dust, etc. first!

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kev -
I am sorry about your friend's passing. I want to hear all about the concerts when you come home (really, I am not placating you).
LL

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I read today's entry, I somehow knew the direction in which it was headed. Kev, I am so very sorry. I hate it. I just hate AIDS. Each and every time someone new succombs to it, it's as if the wind is taken out of me. And even though you can prepare yourself for the end of someone's life, when that day arrives, you're never quite ready.

I'd better stop. I could go on all night. Please comfort yourself with the fact that Steven's journey through sicknesses and pain and meds are over.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Kev said...

Hi Mr. D.!
I thought of you when I wrote the post because I know you lost someone very close as well (and so have a few other friends that read the blog), so I am sorry for anyone who loses a loved one. I hope that there is a cure one day soon. It is very sad and when I hear stories of children in Africa who can't even get needed treatment and medicine, it literally breaks my heart. I still think of another friend, Terry, all the time but agree that that kind of life is no life to have.
On a brighter note, I will be in YOUR city TOMORROW! It's a super quick trip, but I am excited to see Princess, Steve, and Stevie Nicks! Remember to SAVE 8/18!!
Hugs and kisses!
Kevin

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the somber message of AIDS awareness to my cookie jar I love all of the comments.

Kitten, I am not quite sure about Kev's Cookie Jar. If I could find a Stevie Nicks jar, that would be totally awesome. I would put one or two cookies in for his eternal enjoyment. Of course, this is all contingent upon him, um, going before me.

Oh, Scott thinks I should make him into cookies. He will not eat them.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Kev said...

LOL. That's all I can say. (If you find that cookie jar, let me know! You're always thinkin')See YOU tomorrow.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

princess...hee hee...tim and scott would get along...he wants me to bake him into brownies and serve them to his enemies. not that he has any...

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Site Meter