Wednesday, October 04, 2006

“Where’d You Get All Those Blisters, Kid”


"Kev" is on vacation... Please enjoy this contribution from guest blogger and friend, Mr. P...

As a regular reader of "Kev’s Corner," I decided to pen a few words since he’s practically begging. Though this will not be as witty as Kevin’s posts nor reveal a "HOT Guy," it is something weighing on my mind this week.

Many people here at "Kev’s Corner" (OK, it’s just "Kev"), know that I’m currently training for the Dublin Marathon with Team in Training to raise research dollars for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Since about 15, I’ve always run (except the two years of drinking run in the Virgin Islands), but I’d never really considered running a marathon. My Grandfather was diagnosed with Leukemia in August 2005 and a client challenged me to run a marathon the same month. I, of course, took this as a sign that I needed to get involved. As we enter into October 2006, much has changed in just over a year. My Grandfather passed away in March and I’m now training for my second marathon with Team in Training…..this time in his memory.

Saturday, we will gather around 7:45am and head out for our last long run (20 miles) before going to Dublin. As we get ready for this last training run, I’m extremely, and probably sadistically, excited about Saturday’s run. I’m not sure if it is the knowledge that this is the last long run before we do 26.2, the fun and companionship among the group as we run, or that I really am sadistic. Each run is always made worthwhile by the countless testimonies of the honored heroes, the survivors, the friends and family members of lost loved ones, and the thanks you from those that benefit from the programs offered by LLS. My utmost best experience so far with Team in Training was after the marathon in January. Several of us were at the airport waiting for our luggage. The little boy we ran in honor of, came up to each of us, gave our legs a big hug, looked up at each of us and said, “Thank you for running for me." You’ve never seen four grown men fighting so hard to hold back the tears. It’s was amazing.

This week, my Grandfather has been in my thoughts and heavy on my heart……I’m missing him something terribly and miss hearing him call me “kid." (“How ya doing, kid?," “When ya coming to see me, kid?," “How’s the job, kid?," etc.) He was my personal hero who taught me so much about life, compassion, honesty, integrity and most importantly unconditional love and never-ending support. He has always been my rock and it was heart-wrenching to see blood cancer devour his body.

When I ran the first marathon in January, he really did not comprehend what I was doing. In October, I know that he will not only understand but I’ll hear him cheering me on saying, “You can do this, kid?," “Way to go, kid” and……later “Where’d you get all those blisters, kid?"

If you’ve ever had any desire to run a marathon or get involved with a charitable organization, I strongly recommend Team in Training. You can get more information at www.teamintraining.org.

"Kev's" Post Script:
Thanks for taking the time to contribute! Best of luck to you in Dublin. We expect to learn all about it, via way of the "Corner," when you return!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mr. p...
i'm pretty sure i'm gonna have to go with "sadistic", but...best of luck in dublin. we here in the "feline habitat" are rooting for ya. even tho we think you're nuts. i'm certain grandpa will be proud. i know "kev's" is...and mine too!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Kitten and the feline clan!! I'm looking forward to the Guinness follow the run.... Patrick

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Site Meter