Sunday, April 05, 2009

Buttons & Bows


Harry S. Truman was president. Communist forces from China entered Beijing. The FIRST Emmy Awards were presented in Hollywood. Volkswagen introduced their new Beetle in the United States. Dinah Shore's "Buttons and Bows" was #1 on the charts. All of these events paled in comparison to April 5th. The year was 1949 and "our" friend, Kathy, graced our world with her arrival. Yes friends, TODAY is our friend Mrs. S's very special day. Mrs. S. turns 60 TODAY!

If you have followed this silly blog since inception, then you might remember that Mrs. S. is "Kev's" (again, reference to myself) FAVORITE teacher. As a matter of fact, Mrs. S. was my Language Arts teacher and was the FIRST person, when I think about it, to ever read anything I ever wrote (since, well, she was the one handing down those writing assignments). The FIRST speech I ever gave was for Mrs. S. as well! (It was my "phobia" speech about acne, a relevant concern at that time - I wore a bag on my head whilst delivering the speech. Today, however, my skin is flawless - like Kathy's.) Anyhoo, I'm like an elephant - I never, ever forget the people in my life who are "special." Kathy is one of my "special" people and it thrills me that we are friends today. As a matter of fact (here comes digression), I was looking through an old People Magazine (the "50 Most Beautiful People" issue with Brad Pitt) and I thought to myself, "If you had to create your own "50 Most Beautiful People" issue, who would you include?" and Kathy was among my 50. (Yes, JoAnn, you would grace the cover.) She was, and is, an amazing teacher. She is an intelligent, kind, caring person who stays in my thoughts always, as many of you do. I told Kathy (here is something really "cool...) that she is now the same age as... STEVIE NICKS! (60 is the new 20, by the way, and they both look stunning).

SO... again, raise whatever it is you are drinking on this Sunday morning and help celebrate with Kathy, my friend, on her special day! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MRS. S.!

Okay, #1 (my BFF) is FINALLY back home, safely, on U.S. soil. WELCOME HOME #1! "We" missed you.

Believe it or not, I have been advised to take a break from running. Yesterday, during a long run, I pulled a thigh muscle, rupturing a blood vessel in my leg. I can barely walk today but the very "hot," Anderson Cooperish urgent care physician massaged my legs (and I swear he wanted to ask me out - I could feel the chemistry). It was worth the copay.

"Sherrill" and "Russ" update (you know, the goldfish)... Things were touch and go last night (which is why I stayed home/did not go out - I'm a parent now). "Sherrill" has turned out to be more aggressive then "Russ" (she's very "sassy" like her namesake and chases him around the tank relentlessly despite my repeated requests and warnings of a time out). "Russ" wasn't looking too good and has been swimming vertically, which can't be good, right? (It was touch and go last night but he seems to be doing better today.) (I DID go into a gay chat room last night. No, I was not searching for anything illicit, just for a friendly vet who could advise/ease my worries since no pet store or vet was available at 10:47 p.m... Surprisingly, I found someone, "bicurious4U!," who knew SOMETHING about goldfish. He also had fetishes I can't write about here but I did get his number.) What's crazy is, I eat fish almost every day with no emotional attachment except the love I feel when my salmon is accompanied with a nice lemon dill sauce BUT if one of these fish die, I will be sad (although, "bicurious4U!" tells me that they can live up to 10 years... Yikes. I'm committment phobic, as you know, and was really only looking for a 6-month to one year deal.)

Next up... You all met Alicia last Tuesday. Alicia, as you know, IS Stevie Nicks' #1 fan and is always kind enough to send me "all things Stevie." Alicia sent THIS YouTube clip (an outtake from Stevie's VH1 "Story Tellers" - remember that show?) and it is, again, one of my FAVORITE songs. I used to listen to this many years ago. This song was the "B" side to my #1 favorite song, "Stand Back." From 1983, here is "Garbo." I hope you like this song like I do.



Alrighty, I am going to say farewell for now.

I hope YOU have a GREAT day today.

Hugs & Love -

Kevin

Now let's go back...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Site Meter