Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Mystery of Syndactyly


The votes are in people... "Kev" said, "You Choose..." and you did!

The topic that garnered the votes (3), was "Puppies - Why So Cute?" However, "Kev" does not want to write about puppies today and will write about puppies tomorrow, if he feels like it ("Kev" is moody). You see, I don't really know why they are so cute or why we love their breath so much - they're just made that way so people will buy them (like children). I honestly can't believe this is the topic that drew the most votes... Although, I will say this - I think it is absolutely HIS-terical that people are now paying big bucks for breeds that were formerly considered mutts, that you can, and should, pick up at a pound, which are often NOT cute when fully grown, like most former child stars like the kid from "Sixth Sense" who was just busted for DUI.

Straight Steve down the hall has a blind Labrador/Basset Hound mix that he has labeled a "Bassador," (or some other really bogus, dumb ass, made up breed). I told him if it weren't blind, he could probably get $1,500 for it. As it is now, he has to drag it everywhere, no lie, so its diminished value is approximately $.50 (fiddy cent).

Anyhoo - the topic for today is, "The Mystery of Syndactyly," simply because I really like the sound of this title. Full of suspense, isn't it?

Lest you think I am writing about an unsolved murder in upstate New York, Syndactyly is a medical mystery (yes, I mean unfortunate genetic flaw) where the second and third toes remain fused during inutero fetal development, instead of separating, producing a "webbing" effect that remains with a person throughout their life. 1 in every 2,000 people have this including Ashton Kutcher (who is also a really cute puppy), Dan Akroid, Melanie Griffith, Don Johnson, Heather Locklear, "Kev" (yes, it's true), Thomas Jefferson, Donald Duck, Abe Lincoln, Monica Lewinsky, Brad Pitt, Lance Armstrong, Bette Davis, the entire cast of "Saved By The Bell," that girl who fell in the well 20 years ago, my neighbor, Steve (and his "Bassador"). OK, I can only confirm 3 people on this list but I am too busy today to be bothered with facts and research, so you are just going to have to trust me on this.

The point of this post is to heighten awareness surrounding "Syndactyly." Those who suffer from Syndactyly are people just like you and me. They can't help it. Really. Now while I would like to post pictures of this medical phenomenon, again, genetic mishap, they are too graphic and unappealing to display, like conjoined twins (I know, I crossed a line..) to display here on "Kev's Corner." Instead, please enjoy these pictures of puppies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Site Meter