Saturday, March 03, 2007

Tell Me About Yourself


It's a NEW DAY! Welcome back! We're GLAD you stopped in (well, most of you anyway.)

Today's post will be super quick, because "Kev" has a lot to do today, and he is sure that you do too...

First up, we would like to send warm, HAPPY BIRTHDAY wishes all the way to the Arizona desert where one of "Kev's" best friends, and one of the sexiest guys on the planet, "Tiger," is celebrating his 37th birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TIGER! We (again, me and my fictitious staff of crack journalists here) miss you and hope you celebrate in style today! Tiger shares his birthday with actress Jessica Biel and Alexander Graham Bell!

Next, comedian Kathy Griffin's father, John, passed away on February 18th. You all know Mr. Griffin from Kathy's reality show, "My Life On The D-List," in the role of "Dad," on Bravo. Mr. Griffin died of congestive heart failure and was 90-years-old. Our condolences to Kathy. We love that funny, funny lady. Kathy is taping the third season of her show and we will keep you posted of the season premiere date (unless we forget).

Anna Nicole Smith was FINALLY laid to rest yesterday in the Bahamas. Quite an extravaganza. I know some of you are super tired of all of the coverage of Anna, so I won't add to it by writing anymore about her here. (I, admittedly, adored her and thought she was stunning (you know, I MIGHT be going "straight?") Her life was tragic and I think her mother is absolutely horrific. As an homage to Anna, I promise to channel my "inner-Anna" whenever I can. TRIM SPA, baby!)

Angelina Jolie filed papers last week to adopt another child from Vietnam. The new child will join siblings Malox, Zantac, and Cyalis. (Okay, I "swiped" that from a radio show I heard. It was hysterical.) Why must these celebrity types give their children such silly names? That should be "criminal," don't you think? Anyway, GOOD LUCK ANGELINA!

Watch tonight's lunar eclipse! For information, click HERE.

A couple of Saturday's ago, we shared an excerpt from "OfficeSpeak," by D.W. Martin. Again, this is "Kev's" "bible," a real "how-to guide" for conquering all things corporate America, and he would like to share another excerpt with you today from the chapter entitled, "Stay Sober And Other Helpful Hints For Making A Good First Impression." Yes, the chapter addresses the "interview."

"Tell Me About Yourself"

When interviewers ask you to talk about yourself, what are they looking for? What does "yourself" really mean? Or even "about?" Or for that matter, "me?" But this is not the time for rumination, it's time for fabrication.

Interviewers want you to paint a picture for them of what you can bring to the company. Always use "I" statements; prospective employers want to know what you bring to the table - none of this "we" nonsense. Remember, there may be no "I" in team, but there sure as heck is one in "You're hired!"

When talking about yourself, stress your accomplishments, even if you have to stretch the truth or just flat-out lie. Interviewers are looking for a couple of short anecdotes that display your leadership skills and your problem-solving abilities. The following story can be used to satisfy both requirements. Don't worry, nobody ever checks up on the validity of these kinds of tales.


"There was a fire in the office. Raging. I'm the fire warden on our floor and I gathered all the employees into our safety area, handed out protective vests and glow sticks, and calmly led everyone to the fire exits. I then returned to my desk, got back on the phone, and closed a deal that made us a couple million dollars. When the firefighters finally showed up, I had managed to contain the fire to a small area with some copier toner and the water cooler. They made me an honorary firefighter... Shucks, I told myself I wouldn't tell this story to anyone, makes it seem like I'm bragging."

Thanks D.W.! If you don't have his book, you should go get it (at a bookstore)!


Finally, I LOVE the internet. You can find just about ANYTHING out in cyberspace, including Pink's "I'm Not Dead" concert, which "Kev" caught, as you know, last Tuesday here in Atlanta. Click HERE to watch the show for yourself! This was taped in London at Wembley Arena.

I hope all of you (except you) have a GREAT Saturday!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Site Meter