Saturday, August 18, 2007

Kathy Griffin


WELCOME BACK you red-faced bloated booze bag tards! How are ya? White-knuckling it? Still half in the bag? You can all suck it! Okay, YES, that's my lame attempt of impersonating the one and only Kathy Griffin! As you know from yesterday's post, "Kev" (and friend "Kat") saw Kathy Griffin last night at the Fabulous Fox Theatre in the A-T-L! HOLLA! (That's what I write when I am super excited!)

First, let me tell you... before the show even started, you knew GREATNESS was in town. Gay royalty, if you will. You could feel the vibe. Very exciting. "Kev" lives in Atlanta's "gayborhood" (won't YOU be my gaybor? Not you. Just YOU. Okay, ALL of you). Anyhoo, the theatre where Kathy performed is walking distance (just up the street) from "Kev." The gays were very "busy" last night. A lot of hustling and bustling, swishing and prancing. The streets here in Midtown were FILLED with merriment and anticipation (and "Instinct," the new cologne by David Beckham)! Our leader was home. You get the point - the gays were out in force, like the million man march, let's say ('cept a white, very happy/silly march with no purpose or agenda, which, to me, is the best kind). Both shows (8:00 and 10:30 p.m.) were SOLD OUT!

"Kev" attended the 10:30 p.m. performance. Kathy came out and EVERYONE was on their feet to welcome her. The audience was made up primarily of "the gays," straight ladies, and the husbands they brought. ("Kev" sat next to one of the husbands and he seemed to enjoy Kathy a whole lot. My only "beef" was that he was super fat, a little sweaty and spilled into my seat.) Kathy asked, "Where are my gays?" The crowd went nuts! "Kev" went nuts. It was electric.

Kathy, of course, "dished" on her celebrity counterparts (please, she is NOT D-List) including, Oprah, Nicole Richie, Andy Dick, William Shatner, the bitches on The View, Larry King, Martha Stewart, Clay Aiken ("Gaiken"), Ryan Seacrest ("Ms. Seacrest"), Simon Cowell, Dr. Phil ("Tool"), Suzanne Somers, Jane Fonda and the list went on and on. The first jokes were about Michael Vick, which is relevant since he is, unfortunately, playing for an Atlanta team (that nobody cares about). My favorite impersonations were of Paula Abdul and Paris Hilton. Her material was, of course, updated to include recent "goings-on" in Hollywood, like the picture of Lindsay Lohan passed out in her car. (Kathy mentioned that she has been there. She "gets it" but is usually like this after visiting Krispy Kreme).. OH! Before I go on... Kathy asked, "Did anyone see Paula Abdul hocking her jewelry line on Larry King?" (You know "we" wrote about that here and I even shared the YouTube clip of Kathy imitating Paula, asking this very same question, which STILL cracks me up. I am buying some of Paula's junkie-inspired inspirational bracelets as gifts now). "Kev" was the first one to clap (super loud) when Kathy asked this, which was GR-EAT because Kathy looked at me and said, "You'll like this cause you know it's true." To quote Kathy, "Who died and went to heaven? ME!" (It pays to get good seats people, and I am going to tell you how you can get good seats too, TODAY! This would NOT have happened in the Loge.) Kathy talked about her father (which the crowd loved - he was the cutest, wasn't he) and shared stories of her mother (who has since moved out of Kathy's mansion, for those of you who follow the show). Anyway, I won't recap the entire show, but it was FANTABULOUS! I just love her and wish you ALL could have been there. Kathy tours frequently (she's a very busy lady). When she comes to your town, GET TICKETS! You WON'T be disappointed. "We" will share pictures from last night's show later in the week.



Click HERE to visit Kathy's OFFICIAL site.

Okay, a lot of people ask me how I get great seats for the events I attend. Those of you who have attended any show with me know that where you sit makes a difference. You want to interact with the performer, but in a respectful way. Once Ricky Martin winks at you, you are NEVER the same. First, let me tell you... In the good old days, you could sleep out on a sidewalk the night before tickets for your favorite artist/performer went on sale, hope you weren't shived or urinated on, and get top-notch tickets in the morning! You might also plan ahead and call Ticketmaster the day tickets go on sale, but that's really a waste of time these days. Now, there are hundreds if not thousands of ticket brokers who get the best seats before the general public ever can. Legitimate ticket brokers have relationships with several sources that ensure the ticket broker gets the seats you and I want - the best ones! I have learned over the years that patience is key. Many of the BEST seats I have ever had (including MANY front row center seats) are purchased the DAY of the event. Most people want their tickets as soon as they go on sale. It's instinctual and emotional (if you are crazy like I am). This doesn't work. Getting great seats takes some effort. Fortunately, with the internet, you can search for tickets through a variety of means. These include eBay, StubHub (a site to both buy, sell or trade tickets), Craigslist, or any of a 1,000 brokers. If you attend many events, it's great to establish a relationship with a broker. Give him a BJ now and again. (Okay, I am KIDDING.) I have used Empire Tickets (based here in Atlanta) MANY times. They get great seats and their prices are better than any other ticket broker I have found. Ticket prices actually drop the day of the event because these brokers do not want to get stuck with tickets they have not sold. Makes sense, right? For example, third row LeAnn Rimes tickets purchased the morning of the show were $30 a piece from Empire Tickets. Sweet! This included a wink and wave from LeAnn. It doesn't get any better than this. Had I purchased the tickets through Ticketmaster, I would have paid more and sat nowhere near LeAnn (or her HOT, gay husband who was standing right off stage, chatting up the crew). Last night's 5th row Kathy Griffin tickets - $100 a piece, purchased the morning of the show. The seats were dead center (in front of Kathy's microphone) and included an acknowledgment from Kathy! What I will do, however, if I really like someone (let's say, Stevie Nicks) is purchase whatever tickets I can through Ticketmaster the day they go on sale and then work to get the seats I want all the way up to show time. Remember, my original seats for Kathy's show were in the Loge. You can then sell the tickets you initially purchased (sometimes for more, wink wink) once you get the seats you really want. It has never failed me. There are times, however, when you will have to cough up the Benjamins if you really want to sit up close. I have done this as well but don't regret it. (Remember, I am the gay with his name on a plaque in a Phoenix heart hospital because I purchased, well, a LOT of Stevie Nicks tickets! Names on plaques don't come cheap, trust me.)

Okay, that's IT for today (I have things to do other than telling you how I get my tickets). I hope you ALL have a GREAT day. Come back tomorrow (if you feel like it).

Much love,

"Kev"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring your friend Benjamin when you come up here for Kathy's sold out shows in Chi-Town. Maybe he can help us!

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

L-O-V-E kathy!! :)

5:16 PM  
Blogger Kev said...

Princess,
Yes, let's get our benjamins together and make it happen!
Kisses!
Kevin

Kitten,
I will keep you posted when she will be in YOUR town. Perhaps I will come out for it.
Kisses!
Kevin

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Yes. We shall figure this out. If not, you will view the world from the lily white suburbanite surroundings of the dreaded loge.

Fear not. I will at least feed you well. I will sedate you with chocolate chip cookies and you won't even know where you are by the time the sugar kicks in.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Site Meter