Thursday, June 25, 2009

Goodbyes

Welcome BACK bitches! What a week! TGIF, huh?

Today marks our 650th post here at "The Corner." Unfortunately, we have nothing but sad news to discuss. You know what I am talking about... You don't live under a rock or on another planet, right? I can't "scoop" you this time!


As you know, Farrah Fawcett died yesterday at the age of 62. Farrah died after a long battle with anal cancer. Farrah really was the best "angel." I loved her. Her poster was the highest grossing poster of all time (I think), selling more than 12 million copies. If you have read this blog since its' inception then you may know that my Grandfather had that very poster when I was a kid. Very sad news. She was too young to die. Goodbye Farrah. (My childhood hamster was also named "Farrah" and I always thought Ryan O'Neal was the cutest actor, ever.)


So after learning about Farrah, I came home and found my fish, "Billy," (aka, "Russ") dead. "Billy-Russ" took ill about one month ago, exhibiting strange fish behavior like laying on his back on the bottom of the aquarium or floating upside down on the top of the water... He had momentary lapses of normalcy, so I kept hoping he would get better. He didn't. Sad. I know you think I am crazy getting emotionally attached to a gold fish, but this fish was different for a few reasons. He was my "reward" for completing the ING Half Marathon in March. He was very cute (looked like he had tattoos), and he actually had personality. Anyone who met him agrees. I did not flush "Billy-Russ" though... He is wrapped in a paper towel, in a baggie, in the freezer until I can bury him. R.I.P. "Billy-Russ" You were the best gold fish, ever. "Billy-Russ" is survived by "Sherrill," who requests her privacy at this difficult time. She is distraught over his passing. (Or she may be concerned that I may flush her since I was really just keeping her around for the other one.)


NEXT, the world learned of the death of the "King of Pop," MICHAEL JACKSON! My friend, Billy, (yes, my fish's namesake) called to break the news. Sad. Very sad. I can't write anything that hasn't already been said (and I didn't know him now did I). I only wish I could have seen him in concert at least once. I am sure it would have been amazing. My two favorite Michael Jackson songs are "Dirty Diana" and "Smooth Criminal." Anyways... Goodbye Michael Jackson. The world lost a tremendous talent. (And, unfortunately, we will be hearing about this in the media for months to come. Who gets the kids, who gets his money, yadda yadda yadda. "We" promise we won't write about this again here.)

I debated whether I would share this, but what the heck - here goes... You all know I traveled with pal Scott to Nashville last Friday to see Fleetwood Mac. Whilst on our 4 hour journey to the venue, we ran out of things to chat about so we played "dead celebrity." (I don't know if that is the games official name or not...) "Dead celebrity" is simply a game in which you identify which famous person you think will pass away next. Everyone plays this game, right? Scott picked Patrick Swayze (likely choice) and I picked Farrah, so I won. I always win at most things. It's just my way. (I will tell you, I had just seen the Farrah cover of The Enquirer the night before, so she was on my mind). Neither of us considered Ed McMahon. I did tell Scott that there would be a "wild card," someone nobody expects, like Sonny Bono skiing into a tree. That wacky shit always happens, right? Michael was the "wild card." Anyway, sort of macabre, I know, but it seemed like a real co-ink-ee-dink since I don't play that game often. It has been reported that Michael Jackson didn't expect to live past the age of 40. Like Michael, I don't expect that I will live a long life either. Mostly because I don't want to. I'm thinking 50 or 55. Who knows. I know, again you think I'm crazy, but it's really how I feel. I've had fun already so why be greedy? The truth is, I really just don't want to be an old man with old man ailments.

Okay, in lighter "news," I did get 5th row VIP seats to see... Paul McCartney! I can't wait. I have never seen Paul in concert so I am looking forward to it (and am hoping he doesn't die before August 15th.) What? That's not mean! He's old! I am just keeping it real. (Someone on Facebook didn't think I should have written that... I say "f*&k you." I'll write what I want.)

That's it everyone. I have to get ready for the Michael Jackson tribute tonight (which, the DJ promises me, WILL include a few Stevie Nicks hits) at The Eagle! If you attend, wear your sequined cod piece! LOL! Okay, I have to tell you... #1 asked if I was wearing my sparkly cod piece last night and that was about the funniest thing she has said, well, in about an hour. She's nuts. I love her...)

Have a good weekend!

Kevin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Site Meter