Monday, September 11, 2006

Trouble In Shangri-La...


HEY EVERYBODY! Welcome back to the "Corner!" I hope this post finds you well. "Kev" is writing to you from the beach, which is simply astounding. I would like to say I wish you were all here, but frankly the beach is already a little overcrowded, so I am glad you aren't. You should, however, visit the beach as often as you can, but let's coordinate so we aren't all here at the same time, unless we are planning a vacation together, which sounds fun to me, and in that case, I say, "LET'S GO TO THE B-E-A-C-H!" Tonight's sunset was beautiful...

Everyone knows that this is the 5th anniversary of 9/11. I have to say, I really struggled with what, if anything, to write about today. If you stopped in at the "Corner" a bit earlier, you would have read a different post. I didn't, however, feel right about trivializing this important day in history (simply by not addressing it), nor do I feel that I have anything prolific to impart on anyone who happens to stop in. What's a gay to do?

I don't think anyone will ever forget where they were on 9/11 or who they were with or what they were doing. Like this September 11th, "Kev" was traveling on business and was very very far away from home. I was traveling with a then new customer. Every 9/11, we email one another (there were 7 of us traveling together) just to say hello and to remember that time we spent together, watching the events unfold, and then winding our way back, in a van, from Dallas to San Francisco.

Stevie Nicks (you saw this coming, right?) was on tour in September 2001 promoting her "Trouble In Shangri-La" CD. When the World Trade Center was attacked, Stevie was nearby, sleeping, at the Waldorf-Astoria. When Stevie learned what had happened, instead of making her escape, she stayed and delivered sandwiches (ordered from Waldorf-Astoria room service) to rescue workers.

When I listen to, "Trouble In Shangri-La," which is also the title track of the CD Stevie was on tour promoting (which "Kev" saw 7 times), I still get goose bumps (very gay ones, I am sure) because the lyrics, although written before September 11th, seem to speak of the attack on New York's World Trade Center. Every time I hear this song, I think of the many people who lost their lives, as well as those who "walked away" and the overall sadness that loomed over our country at that time...

"But the promise has been broken
As you walk through the shadow of death
You try to see no evil
But you are heartbroken
You say, dear God, make it stop!

Before the dawn of separation
Brings up the wind
Rises around you
I hear there's trouble in Shangri-La
Pillars of color
Trouble in Shangri-La
I make accommodations for you

I guess we don't believe
That things could go that far
We all believe in people...
That we think believe in God
Somewhere in the night...
Someone feels the pain
The ones who walk away
Try to love again..."

"Kev" was fortunate NOT to have known a single person that perished as a result of 9/11. I hope this is the same for you, whomever you are.

From the beach, good night...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you know, Patrick is very jealous that you are on the beach.... any place with sand and water is my happy place.

Your 9/11 recount was, of course, very well thought out and touching. I did not know anyone personally that lost their lives in the 9/11 tragedy but know my people that lost friends, brothers, sisters and loved ones. I spent much of my day sending e-mails and making phone calls letting them know they were in my thoughts today.

Enjoy the beach...... just for me have a cold drink and sink your toes into the sand.

P.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Kev said...

You, my friend, LIVED at the beach so no need to be jealous of a two day jaunt...I did walk, webbed-toes and all, down the coast. The ocean is a great place to relax, reflect (and check out HOT guys)...No wonder you lived there...Stevie also sings, in the same song, "Show me the way back to the sea..." (I am going to turn all readers into Stevie fanes just yet...)

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Site Meter