Thursday, September 13, 2007

Brewster Place


Hello! WELCOME (bitches)!

What is UP?

Last night we "teased" you with a "teaser" (we like to "tease" - we're silly) telling you about red carpets and champagne. Tonight, we're back to tell you all about last night. Ready? (It's exciting...) First, "Kev" has a friend who is the "head" concierge (no hidden "gay" meaning here) at a high-end boutique hotel here in Atlanta. Let's just say this friend is connected. He's a rock star. He knows everyone. Everyone knows him. It's fun. It's exciting. Anyhoo, this friend invited "Kev" to the WORLD PREMIERE of the musical version of "The Women of Brewster Place" at the Alliance Theatre. (Does everyone remember the movie starring Oprah, Jackee Harry and Robin Givens? If not, you can Google it - it's really not that important or central to what this post is about, although it was riveting, spell-binding, moving, two thumbs up, etc. and tells the tale about strong black women and their lives at Brewster Place). Let me back up a couple of weeks... When "Kev" was invited, he was asked if he had a tux (as in edo). To this I replied, "hell to the no." Typically, if an establishment or event is not "cap friendly," I won't go (you understand, right?). I didn't really GET the magnitude of the event, even though I was told it was a "WORLD PREMIERE," but agreed to wear my best suit (which is a new black Kenneth Cole - my favorite. Affordable. Simple). (Is this paragraph too long?) We arrived at the Alliance and I'll be damned if there wasn't a red carpet (television cameras, photographers and journalists interviewing folks as they walked in). I looked for a back entrance and asked the security guard, "Are you sure we're supposed to walk in this way?" The original cast of "The Women of Brewster Place" (as well as Atlanta's Mayor Shirley Franklin) were in attendance (so I suppose the carpet was mainly for them)! I have to tell you...the red carpet was intense! Very intimidating. Especially because when we arrived, we were two (of four) people walking it. I held my hand/arm over my face (the lights were bright) and shouted, "Please, no pictures!" (Okay, I am making that up...) A journalist at the end of the carpet starting asking questions (she stuck a microphone in my face). I didn't hear the question but responded "Kenneth Cole" and "I miss my cap!" (I thought she was asking me what I was wearing). We get inside and the place is filled with muckety mucks, gays and African-Americans. A perfect theatre crowd. Once in our seats, I started chatting with the nice African-American woman in the seat to my left, who happened to be a reporter for "Urban Madness" (or something like that), which is a paper distributed here in Atlanta. For some reason unknown to me, the first thing I stated to her was, "I met Oprah!" The second was "I have a picture with Mo'Nique!" I don't know why I felt compelled to rattle off every famous African-American (can I just say "black?") I ever met. I wondered if I should throw in a white person I had met to throw her off? I wanted her to know I was "with it" but didn't want to seem too eager to fit in. (I feel like I should start a new paragraph.) The show started. There was a lot of singing (which I guess is inherent and essential in a musical). Here comes the best part... The intermission came and "Kev" made a dash to the lobby to hunt out and speak to Jackee Harry (everyone remember her) AND Robin Givens (former Mrs. Mike Tyson, who you know "Kev" met in Phoenix). I regretted that I didn't have a cell phone because my FIRST thought was "I gotta get one of them to call "Princess!" Okay, so I find Jackee and I say to her, "Can I just say I love you?" (I don't know why I said that. Just excited. I don't really love her. That would be non-sense, right?) She said "Yes, you can tell me you love me." (So told her I loved her and squeezed her arm. She smiled and I skirted away). Mission accomplished. Met another celebrity. The intermission ended and still no Robin Givens in sight. Back at my seat, I asked the kind African-American (black) urban paper journalist reporter woman (to my left) if she had seen Robin Givens and she pointed to where she was sitting (which was to my right not too far). I thought "SA-WEET!" Robin looked GR-EAT. Really stunning. I spent the rest of the remainder of the show watching Robin watching the show, wondering if she was enjoying it. You know she hasn't spent a DAY at Brewster Place (i.e., housing project). (Oh, I should tell you, my friend has met/talked with Robin, as well as countless many other celebrities who stay at his hotel, so none of this phased him. He also KNOWS the B52's!) As we were leaving the theatre, I waited for Robin to pass. I waved and smiled at her and as she passed, I may have said something about meeting her ex-husband. Anyway, the event was high-end, bar-none. THANKS to Brent for taking me.

Finally, Bon Voyage to my "sistah," who is embarking on a 10-day cruise! Have f-u-n. ("We" miss you already!)

That's IT for tonight! Please come back soon!

L-O-V-E,

"Kev"




8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have it on authority from a black man that you can say black. It's okay. They are black. And they know it. My black friend seems pretty okay with it, too. Kev, you know my black friend, Bill. He's the black guy.

And you HAVE GOT to tell everyone the Pet Shop Boys story. George was his name, no?

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my goodness, kev...you are the SHIT! what a celebrity-filled life you lead!

i have the same info as princess...my black friends refer to themselves as black, not african american. many of them do not have ancestors from africa, so it makes no sense.

ps...what's with the handicapped symbol next to the word verification box? kinda weird. is it a parking space??

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kitten, my black friend really does have family in Africa, but he still says black, so I know it is okay and we white folks will not get in trouble.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Kev said...

Thank you BOTH for weighing in! (Being a minority myself, I am very mindful of political correctness, although I think it is a bit much at times.) I actually edited this post (severely) so I wouldn't offend anyone. (Is blackety black okay?) I am not so sensitive to things. I don't mind being called "gay" or even a butt pirate or bandit.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"butt pirate"? That's hysterical. I think lots of straight guys are "butt pirates", too, you know!

Did you get my black people email? I have a feeling I will be seeing it in a future post...

6:17 PM  
Blogger Kev said...

If I were ever the token gay on a reality show, like "The Amazing Race," and was on the show with my "partner," I wouldn't mind if the caption read "butt buddies" under my/our picture. (Everything else, like "life partner" has been used.) Spice it up. Keep it real. It sounds like you grew up on the set of "Shaft." Poor thing. That's scary.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hee hee...oh, honey...i've been called WAYYYYY worse...mostly by people who love me. ;)

actually, my high school was pretty racially mixed...probably 2/3 white (or less), with the remaining 1/3 being black, puerto rican (PRs), and asian. i loved it. the "white bitch" thing came MUCH later on when i was dating a black guy...his female black friends didn't like it.

here, it's white and non-english-speaking mexican. i think we have a few sudanese "lost boys" working in the local grocery, too...and they're REALLY black.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Kev said...

Okay, now it's sounding a little more like "Fame" (yes, I have spent too much of my life in front of the television set). Here's what I was called today (which I LOVED)... "You gypsy-crystal-enchanted-magic-gold dust-bastard, you!" LOL!

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Site Meter